I bought my house the downspout from the roof ended right at
This caused problems in two ways: first, the water would flow
down the exterior stairs and run into a drain hooked into the
city sewer (about 5 feet below grade). All would be well until
the drain clogged up with leaves - which often happened - and
the water would back up and flood the basement. This only happened
to me once but it apparently happened many times to the former
owners. Second problem is that all that water was seeping down
close to the foundation and through the basement wall. Not
enough water to even make a puddle on the basement floor but
enough to cause paint on the wall to peel and over the long
run, it would ruin the mortar joints in the cinder block foundation.
The third reason I wanted to divert the downspout was for this
project as the location I had in mind for the rainbarrels was
about 15 feet away from the house.
The original downspout for
the house was still in place - surprising given
how old the house is and what else has been done.
This downspout is galvanized steel. As I have mentioned
elsewhere, you can't mix metals (like steel and
aluminum gutters) so if I was going to change anything
on the downspout I needed to either replace the
entire gutter/downspout with copper/aluminum or
I needed to change the downspout with galvanized.
Copper was too expensive for me at the time and
I didn't want to replace the gutter anyway since
it is/was working just fine.
The galvanized downspouts
needed to be primed and painted. I bought the best
stuff I could but it was all latex and water based
- not oil based. Over time I've seen the adhesion
to the steel has left a LOT to be desired. Don't
know what to do about this in the future if I need
to paint galvanized metal outside.
After priming and painting
I cut and installed - pretty simple, really. I
used stainless steel rivets which was probably
overkill but like so many things with a small house,
I needed so few that I felt the minimal extra expense
was well worth it.
Note to self: add a picture or two of
the downspout diversion....